Remote Technology Resources
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, William Paterson University Information Technology has created this article to assist our students, faculty and staff with information on continuing their education and working from off-campus.
How to Get Technical Support
Contacting the Information Technology (IT) Helpdesk
You may contact Information Technology by submitting a Helpdesk ticket or by calling our IT Helpdesk at 973-720-4357.
What are the Support Hours
Regular Work Day Schedule
- Monday–Thursday: 8:30AM-10:00PM
- Friday: 8:30AM-6:00PM
- Saturday: 9:00AM-5:00PM
- Sunday: On-call phone support (Priority issues left by voicemail will receive a call back within 4 hours)
The Helpdesk ticket system is monitored for new tickets during weekends and evening hours.
Resources for Employees
Information on the variety of tools available for continuing remote work are available in the Resources for Working Remotely article.
Resources (for all employees) that are covered in the article include:
- Office 365 and the variety of features that allow for online document storage, editing, and collaboration
- Online communications tools including Microsoft Teams and Webex
- How to access campus resources including WPconnect, Banner, and the K: and U: drives
- What VPN is and when it is needed
- How to access your voicemail remotely
- Other tips and tools for working remotely
Resources for Faculty & Online Instruction
For support with the use of Blackboard and Blackboard Collaborate for online instruction, visit the 'Bb 101 - Teaching Remotely' support page.
Information on support offerings for remote teaching - including video from the recent CTT Blackboard workshops - is available at Support for Online, Hybrid and Hyflex Teaching.
The Center for Teaching Excellence has prepared a collection of tips and best practices for teaching online from our own William Paterson faculty members and beyond. Learn more at the CTE web site.
While Blackboard Collaborate is the best solution for synchronous class meetings, we realize that not all instruction or academic interaction takes place in a class setting. We also offer the following solutions for online interactions, such as faculty office hours or small group meetings:
For additional general remote instruction resources, please visit the General Remote Instruction Information page.
Resources for Students
- For assistance with Blackboard, visit the Blackboard for Students support page.
Online Software and Mobile Apps to Assist With Coursework
- Microsoft Office 365 is available for all students.
- Office 365 provides access to online versions of Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and OneDrive cloud storage, as well as access to download a full install of Office 365 Pro Plus.
- Microsoft Office mobile apps are also available, including Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive, and Microsoft Teams. Search the Apple or Android App stores for 'Microsoft Office' to download.
- The Microsoft Outlook mobile app provides access to your WP email and calendar.
- The Blackboard Mobile App allows access to your Blackboard courses, and the Blackboard Collaborate Mobile App allows you to join/view classes held online through Blackboard Collaborate
Access to FREE e-books
- Visit https://openstax.org/ to gain access to free eBooks that faculty may use in your classes.
Software Available for Student Use on Personal Computers
The following software is available for limited use on personal computers and devices.
- Adobe Creative Cloud Adobe is no longer giving University students access to Adobe Creative Cloud.
- For students, public computer labs will be open as part of the university's reopening plan.
- Adobe Creative Cloud Home Use is available to students at a discounted rate through https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/buy/students.html.
- Active employees can visit Adobe Creative Cloud for additional information on how to access the Adobe Creative Cloud products on personal devices.
- For students and faculty, home-use ArcGIS is available with the university's ArcGIS contract.
- For access to home-use ArcGIS, a Helpdesk ticket should be submitted through www.wpunj.edu/helpdesk (under the Software - Request category) by an approving faculty member.
- Requests will be reviewed and updates on how to install the software will be provided by Helpdesk ticket update.
- Additional information is available in the ArcGIS Wiki article.
- SPSS Statistics Updated January, 2022 - The University has a contract with IBM that allows SPSS Home Use for all all current students and employees.
- Students or employees seeking access to install SPSS for use on personal computers should refer to the SPSS wiki article for download and installation instructions.
- Students who are unable to install the SPSS software due to incompatible computers (old equipment or Chromebooks) should contact the Helpdesk to discuss potential alternative options that are available.
- Wolfram Mathematica|Online
- Visit Wolfram Mathematica article for information on how to use Mathematica Online.
- SAS Teaching/Research (Available through June 29th 2020)
- Visit SAS for information on how to use SAS Teaching/Research.
Cheng Library Online
Visit the Cheng Library website to learn about online support.
Other Online Learning Resources from the Academic Success Center
For a list of other online learning resources, visit the Academic Success Center's | Online Learning Resources article.
This includes information on resources including:
- Remote Live Tutoring
- Learning Skills Help
- Supplemental Online Learning
- Study Apps & Tools
- Library and Research Help
Science Enrichment Center Online Support
- Videoconferencing help for science students in real time.
- Bring your files, microphones, and cameras!
- See the Science Enrichment Center website for schedules
- Go to SEC Blackboard > Collaborate
Writing Center Online Support
See the Writing Center website for information.
Resources for Acquiring Internet Access
The FCC has established the Affordable Connectivity Program for eligible households.
Resources for Students Without Computers
Campus computer labs are open and available during hours the university is open. For real-time computer availability, visit http://www.wpunj.edu/ca.
For students who have both the means and interest in purchasing a low-cost computer, several computer vendors have low cost options available:
- Dell Outlet - https://www.dell.com/en-us/dfh/shop/dell-refurbished/cp/outlet
- Lenovo Outlet - https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/outletus