Category:Blackboard - Faculty
A message from BLACKBOARD COLLABORATE SUPPORT
Blackboard Collaborate Support Notification for Mac OS X 10.8.4 users who are unable to launch Web Conferencing sessions and recordings.
Mac OSX 10.8.4
Recent security changes released by Apple may prevent Web Conferencing customers from launching Blackboard Collaborate sessions and recordings. Customers using OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.4 will be affected. The security changes no longer allow users to auto-launch JNLP files.
For additional details and information regarding how to enter sessions or play recordings if you have installed this update please reference knowledge base article 2940.
Thank you and regards,
Your Blackboard Collaborate Support Team
Standard practices are the conventions followed by faculty and the Blackboard support staff in order to guarantee that the semester, in this case, starts smoothly. Sometimes standard practices guarantee a common experience -- students are added to the courses on the same day -- and in other cases they guarantee clear, commonly understood communication between instructors and Blackboard staff.
- students are added to course shells two days prior to the start of the semester.
- Instructors can communicate with students before they are added to shells
- Instructors are responsible for activating their course shells; students will not be able to participate in, or even see, course shells until they're activated. The exception are courses taught completely online.
Transfer course content
- Point your web browser to https://liberty.wpunj.edu/bb/transfer/
- In the first of three sections enter the semester and course designations of both the course you are using as a template (origin) and the anticipated course shell (destination)
- Enter your name and email in the second area
- Use the Comments area to make any special requests, for example adding extra sections or asking for retrieval of archived content. And always remember to SUBMIT!
In the example above the origin course is from the Fall of 2012 and the destination is the Fall semester 2013. The course extension is the only difference in the course designation area. When looking at old courses remember that the course designation is pre-pended by the year of the course and the semester designation:
|201210||Spring semester 2012|
|201025||Summer session 2010|
|201140||Fall semester 2011|
|200950||Winter session 2009|
Merge cross-listed and multi-section course shells
Cross-listed and multi-sections can be merged into one shell for ease of use. An instructor or team of instructors teaching multiple sections of one course might find it to their advantage to put all the content into a single shell rather than replicating it across three shells, for example. Please follow the instructions below to request merging a course shell. Requests should be made before the beginning of the semester; waiting until the first week of classes to ask for a merge could result in delayed fulfillment of the request.
- Point your web browser to https://liberty.wpunj.edu/bb/combine/
- In the first section fill out the department, course number and section of both the parent course (the one that will be used) and the children. In the example below the parent course is History 1050-01 and the children are History 1050 sections -02 and -60.
- Include any special comments or questions in the next section of the interface
- Finally please tell us your name and email address. If more than one instructor is involved only one member of the team needs to be listed.
Activate course shell
There are two ways to one might activate a course shell. Remember that students will not see course content, or even a link to the course, until it has been activated.
The new way: Qwickly
- On the My Blackboard page select Faculty: Set Course Availability in the Tools menu (upper left):
- Click ON to activate a course and OFF to deactivate (at the end of the semester, for example)
The old way: Course properties
- In the Control Panel (bottom left corner of the course shell) select Customization, then Properties
- In area number three select availability to Yes
- Finish by clicking the Submit button
Communicate with students before they've been added to course shells
- Point your browser to WPConnect: http://wpconnect.wpunj.edu
- Select the Faculty tab
- In the Faculty Dashboard select the class you are emailing
- In the lower right corner of the ensuing page select Classlist
- Select Display Email List
- Copy the student addresses and paste them into the "To:" area of your email browser
View Student Roster
After students have been added to course shells (see the first unit of the Standard Practices module) start by selecting Users in the Control Panel:
- Control Panel => Users and Groups => Users
- The Roster:
Beginning of the semester
Which Blackboard tasks are most useful in the period leading up to the start of the semester? Content can be moved from previous semesters to coming semester, old course shells can be hidden and new shells can be activated for student use, Many of the items below are covered above in the Standard Practices area. Do you have questions or need support? Please file a ticket with the Online Help Desk: http://www.wpunj.edu/helpdesk/
Blackboard: Getting Started
This area covers basic information including a tour of the Blackboard interface, using course-to-course navigation and learning the importance of Action Link.
Blackboard provides a number of tools for interacting with students, including discussion boards, journals, blogs and wikis. Do you have questions or need support? Please file a ticket with the Online Help Desk: http://www.wpunj.edu/helpdesk/
|Create an Announcement||Send an Email|
|Create a Forum||Create a Thread||Reply to a thread||Grading Threads|
|Search/Collect Posts||Create/Edit Settings||Moderating||Insert an in-line image|
|Journal||A Journal is a tool used for ongoing communication between student & instructor|
|Create a Journal||Create and Edit Entries||Comment on an Entry|
|Blogs||A Blog is a tool used for ongoing communication between student & the class|
|Create a Blog||Create/Edit Entries||Comments|
|Create a Wiki||Add rich content||Edit a Wiki||Linking Pages|
|View Page History||Grading a Wiki|
|Create, Add students||Basics, PDF|
The content collection is one of the most underutilized tools in in the Blackboard suite. In this section learn to transfer content across courses within and between semesters. Why upload ten documents one at a time when you can upload them all in one package and then create links to that content in several courses this semester and throughout course shells semesters to come!
|Content Collection Manual||Create: Folder||Add: Files||Link: Files to Multiple Courses|
|Add: Zipped Files||Download a package||Email a file|
|Create a Forum||Grading a Forum||Create a Thread||Grading a Thread|
|Replying to a Thread||Searching and Collecting Posts||Tagging Posts||Changing Forum Settings|
|Insert an in-line image|
|Instructors guide to the Turn-it-in (Tii) anti-plagiarism tool||Tii Instructors manual||Use: The Negative Points Tool|
|Inline Assignment Grading|
|About Portfolios||Create: Basic Portfolio||Manage: Basic Portfolio||Create: Personal Portfolio|
|Manage: Personal Portfolio||Loading External Portfolios|
Collaborate Web Conferencing
|Introduction to Collaborate||Collaborate help files for moderators & participants|
End of the Semester
|Export course||Archive a course (machine readable)|
This category currently contains no pages or media.