The Department of Technology Services is responsible for the design implementation and management of the University’s voice systems consisting of the Avaya PBX, end user instruments and supporting peripherals, inclusive of messaging, call and invoice management systems, automated operator and directory services.
Voicemail messages can be listened to via the web by accessing http://www.wpunj.edu/voicemail. It is recommended to use Internet Explorer if accessing using a computer.
(If you are wish to check voicemail from off campus from a phone, please call x6245 and use your mailbox number and pin code. Additional information can be found on our Phone and Voicemail System article.)
Please note voicemail on the web service is only available on campus or when connected to VPN Remote Access
Listening to Messages
- Visit http://www.wpunj.edu/voicemail and login with your mailbox number (extension) and your password (PIN).
- Once logged in, you will see your messages. From this screen you can play, forward and delete messages as needed.
- Double click the message to open, select play button to play message
Errors In Chrome
Chrome may show an error at the login window asking the user to download and install Flash. Flash is installed on all university computers. However, Flash has to be enabled for certain sites to work.
Follow these directions to fix Chrome.
Go to the Chrome Preferences
Click on the Advanced Options (usually at the bottom of the page)
Go to Content Settings:
Locate and click on the Flash settings:
Add "voicemail.wpunj.edu" to the Add a Site area:
Close the windows and reload the voicemail website.
- Select the Delete button when the message is open or when the message is selected on the main page
Setting up voicemail to email forwarding
Within our voicemail system you can setup voicemail to forward to your email.
- After logging in select "Preferences", "Notify Me"
- Select the check box "Email me a notification for each voice message" under Voice Email Notifications.
- Enter your email address in "To email addresses:" (If you need to forward to multiple emails, use ; between email addresses)
- Select check box "Include the recording"
- Be sure to select "Save" at the bottom of the page.
Avaya Messaging Setup Instructions
The Access Number to the system is: 973‐720‐6245 or on campus x6245. Please follow the directions for whether you are setting up on campus phone or from off campus as the initial instructions are slightly different.
1. On Campus ‐ dial x6245:
System Says: Mailbox number please.
Enter your extension number. (go to to step 3)
2. To setup dialing from off campus 973‐720‐6245
System Says: Welcome to Avaya Messaging. Please enter the mailbox number of the person you are calling.
If you have a mailbox on the system press #. If you do not know the mailbox # press * to spell the name.
Press the # sign.
System Says: Mailbox number please.
Enter your extension number.
Continue from this point.
3. System Says: Please enter your password then press #. If this is not your extension, press *.
IMPORTANT: IF YOU DO NOT KNOW YOUR PASSWORD PUT IN A HELPDESK TICKET
System Says: You must change your password at this time. Enter the new password now then press #. Passwords must contain at least 6 digits and cannot begin with 0.
4. Enter a password of your choosing following the instructions above. You may use the same password you had in the Intuity voicemail system.
System Says: To verify your new password, please re‐enter it now followed by #. Password accepted. Your new password will be in effect the next time you call.
5. System Says: At the tone record your name then press #. To accept this spoken name press 1, to re‐record press 2.
Record your name only then press #.
Initial setup is now complete. Please record an outgoing personal greeting for persons to hear when calling your number. This is Option #3 under the Main Menu (see below).
6. Main Menu Options (are the same as Intuity Audix).
To record messages Press 1 (to send a message to someone else on the system). To get messages, Press 2 (to retrieve messages left for you).
To administer personal greetings, Press 3 (to create your outgoing greeting that callers will hear and activate it).
If a greeting is not recorded, the system greeting will be heard. The system greeting is “your name as you recorded it” or “a computer generated version of your name” is not available at this time. Please leave a message after the tone.
The system will prompt on how to do each step selected.
Here are some helpful links with detailed instructions pertaining to the Phone and Voicemail System: