SPSS Statistics is a software package used for statistical analysis.
SPSS for Home Use
SPSS for Home Use on a personal computer is available to faculty/staff members and students. IBM SPSS installations require the software to be downloaded through WPconnect and then activated with an authorization code.
If using a university owned machine, SPSS is available through the Software Center.
Uninstall any older versions of SPSS you have on your computer before installing latest version.
Students or employees seeking access to install SPSS for use on personal computers should use the following process:
- Login to WPconnect.
- Visit the Students tab (or Employees tab for employees) and search for or click on the My Home Use Software List - Student (found in the Technology Resources and Services section.)
- Find the 'IBM SPSS 28' (or the highest release listed) section and download the install file for your platform. (Windows 64-bit or macOS.)
SPSS for Home Use On Windows:
- Uninstall any older versions of SPSS you have on your computer before installing latest version.
- Install SPSS 28 by double-clicking the install file and following the on-screen prompts.
- Restart the computer.
- When running SPSS the first time, you must activate the software using the activation key which can be found in the My Home Use Software section of WPConnect. Be sure to select authorized user.
SPSS for Home Use on a Mac:
Please note that SPSS 28 for Mac OS X requires:
OS X 10.13 (High Sierra) or better.
- Download zip from WPConnect.
- Navigate to Downloads folder.
- Double-click SPSS28forOSX-HomeUse-WPU.zip to extract the files.
- Open ‘Spotlight Search’(Command + Space) and search for ‘Terminal’
- Enter the following commands:
- cd Downloads/SPSS28_OSX
- sudo ./install
- Enter password
- When the script has completed SPSS 28 can be found in Launchpad. Reboot recommended.
- SPSS for Windows tutorial from the Department of Psychology, University of Toronto
- SPSS tutorial from California State University, Los Angeles
SPSS Commuter License for University Imaged Computer
If SPSS on a university imaged computer needs to be used off campus and without a VPN connection, there is an option to use the Commuter License. This needs to be initially set up while on campus or connected to VPN. The commuter license can have a maximum duration of up to 30 days.
- Search for "Commuter License" from the Start menu.
- Select "IBM SPSS Statics (1200) 27.0" in the box and change "Duration (Days)" to the appropriate time frame (30 days max). Select Check Out. You can now use SPSS without being connected to the campus network.
- Select "Check In" when you are ready to use SPSS on campus again.