SPSS Statistics is a software package used for statistical analysis.
SPSS for Home Use
SPSS for Home Use on a personal computer is available to faculty/staff members and students. IBM SPSS installations require the software to be downloaded through WPconnect and then activated with an authorization code. Students or employees seeking access to install SPSS for use on personal computers should use the following process:
- Login to WPconnect
- Visit the Students tab (or Employees tab for employees) and search for or click on the My Home Use Software List - Student (found in the Technology Resources and Services section.)
- Find the 'IBM SPSS 28' (or the highest release listed) section and download the ZIP file installer for your platform. (Windows 64-bit or macOS.)
- On Windows:
- Extract/Unzip the ZIP file to your computer.
- Open the extracted folder and run the Install-SPSS28-Home-Use.WPU.cmd file (run as administrator) to complete the install.
- Use the authorization code listed in WPConnect Home Use that you were provided to activate the software.
SPSS for Home Use on a Mac, see the following:
Please note that SPSS 27 for Mac OS X requires:
OS X 10.13 (High Sierra) or better.
SPSS 28 for Home Use Installation Instructions for PC and macOS
On Windows This process will take approximately 30 minutes and will restart your computer. Please close all applications before starting.
On macOS the install will be 5 minutes and not require a reboot.
- Obtain and Download the Home Use Files from WPConnect Home Use.
- Copy the install files to your hard drive (e.g. C:\temp). On the macOS the download will likely be in your downloads folder.
- PC: Close all applications. This installation requires a restart. Install SPSS 184.108.40.206 for use at home.
macOS: The installation will not require a restart but will require an administrative password.
- PC:Right-click SPSS install file and choose Run as administrator.
macOS: Double click on the 'IBM Statistics Client 27.0.1.pkg' file that was downloaded to install the application.
- PC:Click Yes to the User Account Control dialog if it appears.
- PC:At the IBM SPSS Statistics 27 – InstallShield Wizard, click Next.
- PC:Accept the license agreement and click Next.
- PC:Click Next.
- PC:Click Install.
- PC:Please wait while the software is installed.
- PC:Check off "Start SPSS Statistics 27..." and click Finish.
- Select Authorized user license and click Next.
- Enter Authorization code and hit Add and then click Next.
- PC:Click Next.
- PC:Click Finish.
- PC:Please restart your computer. SPSS 27 is now installed on your PC.
- macOS: At the end of the install the authorization wizard will launch
- macOS: Click the "Next" button
- macOS: Select "Authorized User License" and click "next" to enter the code.
- macOS: SPSS 27 is now installed in /Applications/IBM SPSS Statistics 27/ and authorized for use.
- SPSS for Windows tutorial from the Department of Psychology, University of Toronto
- SPSS tutorial from California State University, Los Angeles
SPSS Commuter License for University Imaged Computer
If SPSS on a university imaged computer needs to be used off campus and without a VPN connection, there is an option to use the Commuter License. This needs to be initially set up while on campus or connected to VPN. The commuter license can have a maximum duration of up to 30 days.
- Search for "Commuter License" from the Start menu.
- Select "IBM SPSS Statics (1200) 27.0" in the box and change "Duration (Days)" to the appropriate time frame (30 days max). Select Check Out. You can now use SPSS without being connected to the campus network.
- Select "Check In" when you are ready to use SPSS on campus again.