Respondus LockDown Browser® and Respondus Monitor
Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within a learning management system.
Respondus Monitor is an online proctoring tool purchased by the University for proctoring exams.
Visit the Respondus Support site (https://web.respondus.com/support/) for technical questions or to submit a ticket.
Students have access to live chat for support during exams.
System Requirements for LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor
- Windows: 11, 10, and 8. Details
- Mac: macOS 10.12 to 12.0+
- iOS: 11.0+ (iPad only). Must have a compatible LMS integration. Details
- Chromebook: Details
- Windows: 2 GB RAM (A minimum 4gb of available RAM is necessary when using LockDown Browser to take an exam that also uses a webcam.)
- Mac: 2 GB RAM (A minimum 4gb of available RAM is necessary when using LockDown Browser to take an exam that also uses a webcam.)
Hard Disk Space
- Windows: 75 MB permanent space on the hard drive
- Mac: 120 MB permanent space on the hard drive
LockDown Browser is a client application that is installed to a local computer. Both the Windows edition and the Mac edition of the browser are based on Chromium, Google's open source framework. Students do NOT need Google's Chrome browser installed; nor will this version affect a Chrome browser that's already installed.
- Quick Start Guide (https://web.respondus.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/RLDB-Quick-Start-Guide-Bb-Student.pdf)
- Video Overview (2 minutes) (https://web.respondus.com/lockdownbrowser-student-video/)
Before the Test
- Follow the link below to install LockDown Browser on the computer you will be using for testing.
- Link to be included during Spring 2022
- Prepare for the test at least 10-15 minutes before taking the test. Login to Blackboard and follow the rest of the steps in this short guide.
- Plug in your laptop to the charger.
- Sit close to your router if possible for faster speeds. Avoid being several rooms away from your router.
- Run a google speed test to see how fast your internet is. Click Run Speed Test to see how fast your internet is. Ideally your wifi would be about 100 MBPS up/100 MBPS down.
Frequently Asked Questions for Students
What do I need to know before taking my exam? Ensure your computer is charged and has a strong internet connection. We recommend students take their exam in a quiet private location to limit potential flags and distractions.
Why do I need a photo ID? What forms of ID are acceptable? We verify the photo and name on your ID to ensure you are the correct test taker. You can use any government issued (i.e. driver license, passport) or a student ID that has your photo.
What equipment is needed? You will need to have a working webcam, microphone, and either a laptop or desktop computer. Integrated or external USB will both work.
How is my privacy protected? Respondus is FERPA compliant and uses securely encrypted protocols to save and view all test taker assets.
Does Respondus determine who is cheating? No. Respondus simply reports back possible incidents. Ultimately, your instructor determines if cheating occurred by viewing the video recording
How can I get support if something goes wrong during an exam? Respondus has a 24/7 live chat feature accessible to you throughout testing. Reach out to them for help with any technical issues during an exam.
- Register for a free training webinar on LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor (https://web.respondus.com/webinars/)
- Introduction to LockDown Browser for Blackboard Learn (https://youtu.be/e-QRHkoF8Xg)
- Introduction to Respondus Monitor (https://youtu.be/Pbz3_GSVRrE)
- Preparing an Exam for Use with Respondus Monitor and LockDown Browser (https://youtu.be/7J1K8-R20ao)
- Access further Instructor materials, including an Instructor Quick Start Guide at: https://web.respondus.com/he/monitor/resources/
Recommended Syllabus Language
The sample text below can be used in your course or syllabus. It explains that students must use LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor for their online tests.
Using LockDown Browser and a Webcam for Online Exams
This course requires the use of LockDown Browser and a webcam for online exams. The webcam can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. Watch this short video (https://web.respondus.com/lockdownbrowser-student-video/) to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the webcam feature. A student Quick Start Guide (PDF) is also available. (https://web.respondus.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/RLDB-Quick-Start-Guide-Bb-Student.pdf)
Then download and install LockDown Browser from this link:
- Link to be included during Spring 2022
To ensure LockDown Browser and the webcam are set up properly, do the following:
- Start LockDown Browser, log into [INSTRUCTOR: ENTER LMS NAME HERE], and select this course.
- Locate and select the Help Center button on the LockDown Browser toolbar.
- Run the Webcam Check and, if necessary, resolve any issues.
- Run the System & Network Check. If a problem is indicated, see if a solution is provided in the Knowledge Base. Troubleshooting information can also be emailed to our institution's help desk.
- Exit the Help Center and locate the practice quiz named [NOTE TO INSTRUCTOR: CREATE A BRIEF PRACTICE QUIZ AND INSERT NAME OF QUIZ HERE; IF NECESSARY, INCLUDE LOCATION OF QUIZ].
- Upon completing and submitting the practice quiz, exit LockDown Browser.
When taking an online exam that requires LockDown Browser and a webcam, remember the following guidelines:
- Ensure you're in a location where you won't be interrupted
- Turn off all other devices (e.g. tablets, phones, second computers) and place them outside of your reach
- Clear your desk of all external materials not permitted — books, papers, other devices
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it, and that you've allotted sufficient time to complete it
- Remain at your computer for the duration of the test
- If the computer or networking environment is different than what was used previously with the Webcam Check and System & Network Check in LockDown Browser, run the checks again prior to starting the test
- To produce a good webcam video, do the following:
- Avoid wearing baseball caps or hats with brims
- Ensure your computer or tablet is on a firm surface (a desk or table). Do NOT have the computer on your lap, a bed, or other surface where the device (or you) are likely to move
- If using a built-in webcam, avoid tilting the screen after the webcam setup is complete
- Take the exam in a well-lit room and avoid backlighting, such as sitting with your back to a window
Remember that LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted.
Require a Practice Exam
Ensure your first exam using Respondus Monitor runs smoothly! Have students take an ungraded practice quiz that requires the use of LockDown Browser and a webcam, before taking a graded exam.
Direct students to use the Help Center prior to their first exam. With LockDown Browser open, log into the course and select the Help Center button the toolbar. From there, run the Webcam Check and the System Check to make sure everything is working properly. If a problem is indicated, students can search for a solution in the Knowledge Base. Troubleshooting information can also be emailed to your institution's help desk.
Leave the practice quiz available for the duration of the course, with unlimited attempts, so students can check their setup from a different computer.