Online Collaboration Platforms
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Platforms Currently Offered for Online Meetings
Etiquette and Best Practices
Here are some general guidelines when attending an online meeting.
Tips for Meeting Attendees
- Mute your Microphone - To help keep background noise to a minimum, make sure you mute your microphone when you are not speaking.
- Be mindful of background noise - When your microphone is not muted, avoid creating additional noise such as shuffling papers.
- Position your camera properly - Be mindful of the camera position and try to get it at eye level if possible. Doing this helps create a more direct sense of engagement with other participants.
- Limit distractions - You can make it easier to focus on your meeting if you turn off notifications. In Teams, if you set your availability to Do Not Disturb, you will not get pop up notifications.
- Avoid Multi-tasking - You'll retain the discussion better and be more engaged if you refrain from replying to emails or text messaging during the meeting.
- Prepare materials in advance - If you are planning on sharing content during the meeting, make sure you have the documents or links ready to go before the meeting begins.
Tips for Presenters and Hosts
Tech Tips and Troubleshooting
- Use a headset with a built in microphone
- Install the full version for each platform. While you can join a meeting through your browser, it's a better experience if you have the full version installed on your computer. For University computers, please go to the Software Center.
- If the video is lagging or there are disruptions in audio, consider turning off your video and/or dialing in with your phone for audio.