Online Collaboration Platforms
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Platforms Currently Offered for Online Meetings
Etiquette and Best Practices
Here are some general guidelines when attending an online meeting.
Tips for Meeting Attendees and Hosts
- Mute your Microphone - To help keep background noise to a minimum, make sure you mute your microphone when you are not speaking.
- Be mindful of background noise - When your microphone is not muted, avoid creating additional noise such as shuffling papers.
- Position your camera properly - Be mindful of the camera position and try to get it at eye level if possible. Doing this helps create a more direct sense of engagement with other participants.
- Limit distractions - You can make it easier to focus on your meeting if you turn off notifications. In Teams, if you set your availability to Do Not Disturb, you will not get pop up notifications.
- Avoid Multi-tasking - You'll retain the discussion better and be more engaged if you refrain from replying to emails or text messaging during the meeting.
- Prepare materials in advance - If you are planning on sharing content during the meeting, make sure you have the documents or links ready to go before the meeting begins.
Tips for Presenters and Hosts
- Make sure the lighting is good and the angle of your webcam is at face level.
- Looking directly at the camera will make attendees feel more included in the conversation.
- If the platform is new to you, do a test call with a co-worker and test all the features you plan to use before the meeting.
- Share documents and agendas before the meeting.
- Have a co-host manage the Chat function to reduce distraction.
- When creating the meeting, be sure to select Mute on Entry.
- Consider locking the meeting when all attendees are present for added security.
- If you are presenting a Powerpoint, be sure to make it Full Screen.
Tech Tips and Troubleshooting
- Use a headset with a built in microphone
- Install the full version for each platform. While you can join a meeting through your browser, it's a better experience if you have the full version installed on your computer. For University computers, please go to the Software Center.
- If the video is lagging or there are disruptions in audio, consider turning off your video and/or dialing in with your phone for audio.